Below is an overview of our curriculum. We invite you to schedule an appointment with the Admissions Office to see the specific scope and sequence for each grade.
Our Junior Kindergarten offers a full day program, which begins to integrate preschool students in the academic environment.
- Play based learning is paramount, with a strong emphasis on cultivating an early love for learning;
- Students attend specials – art, gym, and music – as a part of their weekly routine;
- Even our youngest students participate in weekly chapel where we worship together.
KINDERGARTEN – 3RD GRADE
In our lower elementary classrooms there is an emphasis on phonics, writing, math, social studies, science, and Bible. Our curriculum includes:
- Fountas & Pinnell literacy program complete with guided reading and IRA
- Shurley English to set a foundation for strong grammar and writing skills
- Math in Focus, a Singapore program designed to help students with problem solving and critical thinking skills
- STEM projects in the classroom and hands on science experiments
- Learning to code, beginning in Kindergarten
- All students attend weekly specials including music, art, technology, foreign language, and gym.
4TH – 5TH GRADE
In upper elementary classrooms we focus on in-depth novel studies and developing avid, independent readers. Our curriculum includes:
- Shurley English to further develop excellent grammar and writing skills. Students become more fluent in addressing different audiences, tone, and styles
- Saxon Math to build on a strong foundation in math facts and introduce geometry and algebraic concepts
- An exciting study of Jamestown, States and Presidents, and US History
- Annual science fair, hands on STEM projects and in-class labs throughout the year
- Technology integrated into their daily work by writing newsletters, creating reports, making PowerPoint presentations, and using many other software programs to complete classroom assignments
- All students attend weekly specials including music, art, technology, foreign language, and gym
MIDDLE SCHOOL (6TH – 8TH GRADE)
In Middle School, our program is designed to prepare our students to attend the high school of their choice. Our curriculum includes:
- Saxon Math – Pre Algebra, Algebra, Algebra II, and Geometry, in which students can earn high school credits
- Humanities I and II, a two year 6th and 7th grade integrated program in which English, History, Bible, Art, Music are taught in a cohesive format to help students better understand the world around them
- In depth novel studies, debates, writing workshops, and oral presentations
- Elevate Science – a lab based curriculum that includes extensive hands on science experiments
- Bible – taught with the Museum of the Bible curriculum, a highly interactive and integrated way to study the Bible in the context of world history
- Middle school students continue with their specials, including gym, art, and music
BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
A distinctive part of our curriculum includes learning outside the classroom. Each grade enjoys several field trips that are designed to enhance our overall curriculum. Favorites include trips to:
- The Waterford One Room School House
- National Archives
- Shakespeare Folgers Theatre
- The Museum of the Bible
- Wallops Island
- The White House
PROVIDENCE ACADEMY HAS A STRONG ATHLETIC PROGRAM
- Intramural basketball and volleyball
- Competitive Middle School conference sports, including:
- Flag football teams
In addition, students have the opportunity to participate in many extracurricular academic activities such as the Scripps National Spelling Bee, the Geography Bee, and the Providence Academy Declamation contest, and many after school activities such as Drama Club, Chess Club, Minecraft Club and Art Club.
We administer the IOWA Assessment test in the spring each year as a way to track longitudinal data over time and college readiness.
The IOWA test is a highly respected, national assessment tool that provides insight on student mastery of grade-level subjects.
The Providence Academy Curriculum Committee meets throughout the year. The purpose of the Curriculum Committee is to systematically and routinely evaluate the curriculum, to ensure it helps Providence Academy fulfill its mission of “Uncompromising Excellence.”